Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Elizabeth the Queen, Book Review

Biographies are a passion of mine. Generally I have stuck with figures father in the past, but recently I picked up Elizabeth the Queen, and am so glad I did! It is fascinating to learn about a person in such an unusual situation in life, and in history. The book is full of the kind of broad background information that really gives context to a biography, without being dry. The length of her reign itself adds interest, because you don't often get to hear the full story of someone who lived in both World War II and the present, without ever having been able to fade into the plain everyday life most people do. Prior to reading this book I also knew little about the United Kingdom's political structure, and the function of the monarch within it. Because of the way the book was written this was no encumbrance to enjoying it. In fact I learned a great deal! The same applies to the Queen herself, of whom I knew only what the news conveyed, and that as usual was nonsense.

This is a book I can whole wholeheartedly recommend! If  you are a lover of history, or just of people, this is a book you may really enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment